North Korean authorities announced Friday evening that the Hermit Kingdom will suspend all missile tests and shut down its nuclear testing facilities; setting the stage for next month’s high-stakes meeting between Kim Jong Un and President Trump.
According to Fox News, the North Korean regime announced their decision to suspend their weapons programs just hours after delegations from North and South Korea held negotiations to find a “permanent” settlement to the 68-year long war.
“From April 21, North Korea will stop nuclear tests and launches of intercontinental ballistic missiles,” the Korean Central News Agency said, according to Yonhap News. “The North will shut down a nuclear test site in the country’s northern side to prove the vow to suspend nuclear test.”
“They have not attached any conditions that the U.S. cannot accept, such as the withdrawal of American troops from South Korea. All they are expressing is the end of hostile policies against North Korea, followed by a guarantee of security,” said South Korean President Moon Jae-in.
“North Korea has agreed to suspend all Nuclear Tests and close up a major test site,” Trump tweeted following the announcement. “This is a very good news for North Korea and the World – big progress! Look forward to our Summit.”
News of the testing suspension follows the revelation earlier this week that Mike Pompeo, the current CIA director and secretary of state nominee, met with Kim in North Korea over Easter weekend to lay the groundwork for the prospective meeting with Trump. The meeting, Trump said, could occur by early June.